Friday, June 6, 2008

Adult Children

What do you call your Adult Children? Is there a proper term?

I have three people, two girls and a boy, to whom I gave birth and they are now 'way past the age that I can comfortably call them "two girls and a boy".

But to call them "Adult Children" is an oxymoron, and few people out there know what an oxymoron is --- or care. But I do,, because I am an English professor and when an oxymoron is used, it is used for a literary purpose, and for the life of me I can't place these three into a literary setting. So then, "adult children" is out.

So what's next? How about just calling them "Children?" People do often ask me how many children I have and I respond, "Three children . A boy and 2 girls. " Think about that!! I have THREE CHILDREN? No way is that true. I realize the questioner is satisfied because he/she interprets my answer as a generic statement and he doesn't puzzle about the "children" part.

Before you get a smarty reply formed in your mind, let me say, "Yes, I know he doesn't puzzle about it because he can tell by looking at me that the three I'm talking about couldn't possibly be "children."

But that doesn't answer my original question. What is the proper term to use then? How about Adult People? or Ageing Offspring? or Boomer Bloomers?"

Is there any significant point to all this nonsense? Why did i ever think of bringing up the question?

There is a significant, and poignant, point to be made. Here it is:

I look at these three beautiful (handsome) people I birthed who are now adults and my heart glows with joy at who they are right now.

It doesn't really matter what I call them, what matters most is that I can use a predicate adjective to identify them--- " They are mine. "

No comments: